Monday, September 26, 2011

The many personalities of my kitchen

Well construction has begun on our kitchen.We are taking a little bit at a time, starting with ripping out the old, dirty lenoleum checkerd floor. My hope was that we could salvage the hardwood that I know was underneath the lenoleum. I was going to do a painted hardwood look with charcoal and white diamonds. Oh how lovely it would have looked, the painted gray and white with the planks of the floor still visible... until my dream was shattered. Apparently previous owners had similar ideas about changing the kitchen floor, the only problem is that they were all lenoleum lovers, they all did not have very good taste, and worst of all, the original layer was secured down with TAR to the beautiful original 1903 red pine wood floors. Knife.to.the.heart.

Floor #1: Back and White (more like brown now) Checks
Floor #2: GREEN and white (brown) checks

Floor #3: ??? white-brown brickish lenoleum
Finally, the original hardwood, too bad you can't see if for the tar covering it:
Well, now that my painted hardwood kitchen is out of the question, tile it is! I've decided on a charcoal gray slate tile. I thought it had a good combination of rustic and modern. Here is an example kitchen with similar flooring:
Kind of a matte, natural finish. Love the gray and white.
Our kitchen cabinet doors will be changed to a more updated farmhouse style beadboard front with a frame, like this:
And we will have an island with pendant lights above it, maybe these barn style lights in this wonderful kitchen (!!):

Or these?

Right now the project is stressing me out because I don't like things to be out of order. I want everything in its place. I guess it will be worth it in the end.
Soon I'll be posting my living room update. New couch is here!!! Will have to take pics, I'm kind of waiting on my other items to arrive from Etsy before posting. SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment